Calendar E-Mail Chat Games Messenger Search
HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister Forgot Your Password?Forgot Your Password?

Welcome, Guest. Please Login. Jun 10th, 2024, 3:57pm

1freeworld Groups
   On the Heavier Side
   Current Events
(Moderator: ReeBop)
   Philippines Issues, News Makers and Breakers
Previous topic: China Slams Japan Ov...  China Slams Japan Ov...  «-  Start new topic  -»  20th Anniversary of ...  Next topic: 20th Anniversary of ...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Philippines Issues, News Makers and Breakers  (Read 6318 times)
Gracia
Premier Expert
Philippines 
# 28

in Christ --- the hopeless finds hope

View Profile

Re: Philippines Issues, News Makers and Breakers
« Reply #50 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 7:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Mostly Lola's and Mama's were victims of stampede, why?  Generally, Mama's  will do everything for their children.  They're not doing it for themselves alone but for their children, their family.  They were hoping that if they won, their children may somehow experience a better life.  Who won't dream for fastest fortune when even in dreams, for them it's a dim vision?  Why not try their luck in wowowee, it might be there only chance in this lifetime.  They're not getting it as easy as we think it is.  They lined up for days, sacrificed meals, sacrificed sleep not to mention the heat they're going to undertake just to become a participants.  Nothing was easy there, it needs strength, patience and perseverance.  I've been watching the show as long as i have the time and  it's fun.  Mama's and Lola's were given attention, they feel that they are being cared, being part of the family.   And in wowowee, all you can experience is fun and laughters.  
It's a very down to earth Game show and so generous.  

Wowowee had been to Cebu with more than 30,000 people trying their luck to win the fortune, and thanks God it was safe.  

This can't be happening without a reason, there must be.  From the organizers down to participants or to just plain audiences, they all have their own responsibilities.  With this tragedy, i'm hoping they will all be aware of those considerations in order to avoid happening this again in the future.

IP Logged

The best way to cheer yourself, is to cheer somebody else up
earthlingorgeous

Email

« Reply #51 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 12:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Throwing a piece of meat to a pack of hungry wolves!"

This was how DILG Undersecretary Corpus assessed what happened to the stampede at ULTRA last Saturday.

The Wowowee staff announced that tickets are being given, so the guards of the sports stadium opened the 3rd gate.  People were excited so they were pushing each other to get a hand of the ticket.  When the guards couldn't control the crowd rushing in, they closed the gate, and after a few minutes opened it again, and then closed it again and then closed it again and opened it again and then closed. Such created the stampeded where people got stepped on, pushed and trampled.  

Basically its neglect on the part of the event organizers.  They were so engrossed with the noise they are making and of attracting more crowds instead of doing something to avoid piling them up outside the stadium.

I had a meeting with some event organizers and their observations were all the same, the event organizers overlooked little stuffs that could have saved lives like putting up a standby respond and rescue team and crowd control.

ABS-CBN did admit that they were scouting the area three days before the event and saw people flocking the place already as the day of the event nears.  They could have prevented this if they already distributed the ticket to these people, color coded them, and so on and so forth.  It all boils down to poor event management.

The network wanted to create waves and noise about how their show is different that its all about the poor people to help them. They capitalize too much on the poor when what they are really after is their money making schemes.

Now they are using the ABS-CBN foundation to "gather" more funds from the OFW community, what a scum!  What happened to the P3 million pot money they have that was supposedly for the gameshow and the additional $1 million for the raffle to the audience?  

ABS-CBN is getting what they deserve.  But ofcourse nobody prayed or wish for lives to be sacrificed.  Too bad their lesson is now being taught in a bad way, but still when someone can't be reminded by a tap on the back, someone should kick their ass to get their attention.  Lots of lives were sacrificed but they have to clean their act. ABS-CBN management are greedy to the bones.

There's news floating that they will suspend ABS-CBN for a few months, but well I'm not so sure, what about the other shows.

But one thing is sure Wowowee will not air again, after the tragedy, even hearing the shows themesong gives people the creeps.
IP Logged
Gracia
Premier Expert
Philippines 
# 28

View Profile

« Reply #52 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 6:00pm »

Quote:
after the tragedy, even hearing the shows themesong gives people the creeps

I'm not so sure about creeps, but one thing i'm sure, thousands of people will be sadden if wowowee will not air again especially those on poverty level.  Wowowee is some kind of a light to their chance of a lifetime.

IP Logged

Gracia
Premier Expert
Philippines 
# 28

View Profile

« Reply #53 on: Feb 9th, 2006, 6:19am »

Quote:
ABS-CBN did admit that they were scouting the area three days before the event and saw people flocking the place already as the day of the event nears.  They could have prevented this if they already distributed the ticket to these people, color coded them, and so on and so forth.  It all boils down to poor event management.

I'm sorry but I have this softie in me and a deep sense of gratitude but I have to air it out...heheheh and i have to defend ABS-CBN who's only wish is to help the poor.  They've helped so many people for a year in the show.....and as just a televiewer, it gaves me joy everytime i saw people show their tears of joy of the blessings they've got.  The tragedy pained me but I can't forget the joys i've felt on all those days, weeks, months that have been so happy even by just watching the show.  

Quote:
The network wanted to create waves and noise about how their show is different that its all about the poor people to help them. They capitalize too much on the poor when what they are really after is their money making schemes.

All networks I believe aims to make a difference, to make their own identity.  It's the people they're luring and ABS-CBN was successful in that area.  And all TV stations aims for money as well.  That's what business is all about I believe, to make money.

Quote:
Now they are using the ABS-CBN foundation to "gather" more funds from the OFW community, what a scum!  What happened to the P3 million pot money they have that was supposedly for the gameshow and the additional $1 million for the raffle to the audience?  

I guess that is the function of a foundation i suppose and we can't blame the TFC subcribers who were  a big fun of wowowee to offer donations.  They even offer their dollars during their daily shows and they were not ask for it.  Filipinos are helpful by nature in times of needs most especially.  I'm so thankful to God for those people who shares and shows their generosity.  

Quote:
ABS-CBN is getting what they deserve. ABS-CBN management are greedy to the bones.

I'm sorry but I can't just agree with this.  Most Filipinos are greedy and  not only ABS-CBN.  Though, I appreciate ABS-CBN's greediness at least they reached out and share.  Why Filipinos flocked in there? because most of them are greedy too.  It's not so difficult to grasp because they do it because its a need.  It's a risk just like the soldiers who were sent out to war. What difference does it make?  They consider going to the show as a job just like soldiers considers fighting as their job. Just my opinion though. Grin

Now this saying made sense:  

when you do good no one remembers, but when you do bad, no one forgets.

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2006, 10:54am by Gracia » IP Logged

earthlingorgeous

Email

« Reply #54 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 9:28am »

I would have to say I indeed made a very bad criticism by saying that the ABS-CBN management are greedy.  But I won't take back what I said.

The Wowowee incident is just one of the many things that happeneed because of the bad management by ABS-CBN.  Lawsuits are already filed and I won't dwell into them.  The Lopez's has to learn their lesson the hard way  Sad and that's sad.  But well they have to know about Karma, so I hope they clean-up their act soon.

I have nothing against Wowowee, I watch it too, and yes it is very entertaining.    

I applaud the OFW's who are very generous to their countrymen, infact that is the reason why they became OFWs to help the country's economy.  Its just sad that there are opportunist in our midst.
IP Logged
Wicked_Witch
Premier Expert
Philippines  Manila
# 201

I'm not old, you are just younger. Hehehe!

the_wicked_witch13  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #55 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 6:20am »

I don't think the ABS-CBN managements are sorely to blame for what happened. And I don't think it was also greediness on their part that caused the tragedy. If you remember, these tickets are for sale so they can't give them away before the event. And I know also that they are doing everything they can to help those that are personally affected by the said tragedy. Their reasons maybe selfish (maybe to redeem their image) but the fact is they are there helping, financially and otherwise. And wether they have selfish motives, that's not my concern. As long as they support those who need it who cares about the reason? It's the people who are benifitting from it. Can you imagine holding a funeral wake of a poor family in such a place as Arlington? Or being given some money they had never hope of getting one way or another when they were still alive?  Maybe it was a sacrifice on the part of the people who passed away, but they were able to achieve their goals, which is to bring home some money. The show is a very generous and popular one. Proof are those many sponsors they have. And I do not think Willy's that cold-hearted to pocket those money intended for his audience. No, I think Will Revillame genuinely cares a lot for his audience and fans. It was his way of making good his promise to the Lord when he was down and out. That if he will be given another chance to have again what he lost, he will do everything in his power to give back some of those blessings to those who believed in him still. It's just too bad that this has to happen in his quests to be loved and liked by more people. Afterall, they really give away those prizes he promised to the audience.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2006, 6:26am by Wicked_Witch » IP Logged

She who have not sinned may cast the first stone.
Gracia
Premier Expert
Philippines 
# 28

View Profile

« Reply #56 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 3:45am »

On the news last week, i've heard that ABS-CBN was giving away money for lot burial too and when they checked it out...one victim was buried in a public cemetery.  One way of making money.

ABS-CBN foundation was not using the money for victims of the tragedy...if i heard it correctly, just the staffs they were using and not the funds.  The funds is still intended for its purpose and not otherwise.

Quote:
Maybe it was a sacrifice on the part of the people who passed away, but they were able to achieve their goals, which is to bring home some money.

You are right there Witchy, and based on the news, ABS-CBN or Willie himself, make sure that the future of the bereaved family will be given attention to and taking cared of.  That's more than they have hoped for but then let's not forget that we can't get anything with nothing in return.  Sometimes we just don't know what hit us and what we've sacrificed for the benefit of our loved ones.

Quote:
Its just sad that there are opportunist in our midst.

However, if they'll be called opportunist, I guess I won't be against them working that way....better than those opportunist who'll only cater to their needs and theirs alone.  And besides, i don't think our OFW's are irrational enough to just throw their hard-earned money for nothing, they love to share  and they make sure it's for a good cause.  I know the feeling when you share, when you can help...the feeling is great, just tremendously great.     So, I can't blame them falling to opportunists.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2006, 3:50am by Gracia » IP Logged

Wicked_Witch
Premier Expert
Philippines  Manila
# 201

the_wicked_witch13  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #57 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 2:50am »

I agree, Grace. Self-righteousness has no place in our society these days. As long as the means justify the end, I guess I can accept that and live with it and just hope that someday some people will let their consience bother them and do something about it, too.
IP Logged

earthlingorgeous

Email

« Reply #58 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 8:46am »

Landsline, wiped out a town in Southern Leyte

St. Bernard, Southern Leyte, couldn't be located via aerial survielance anymore.   The town was totally wiped out of the map after a landslide occured Friday afternoon (Philippines time).  St. Bernard, once a resident of 3,000 people, now looks like an empty field of mud.

It was more of a mudslide than landslide.   People were awake and doing their usual routine, the kids are in school, farmers plowing their lands, wives doing their chores.

The mudslide was believed to have occured after the two weeks continuous rain at the area.  Water sipped in the cracks on the hill, the hill that was supposedly a forest area.  

It was described in reports by some survivors that the landslide looked like a tidal wave that covered the entire town.  Buildings and establishments were totally covered.  Only remants of metal and steel from some of the roof of the structures can be seen.

Only 57 people were plucked from the mud Friday from Guinsaugon's population of 1,857. At least 68 bodies were recovered - including 12 on Sunday. (AP reported)

At present, no survivors have been reported.   Rescue and respond teams in the area are now just digging bodies that they can find, before the mud harned.

The place is devastating to look at, because its empty, as if no living creature ever existed there. The mud which is believed to be 30 feet deep, burried every living being and structure in the town. Houses and establishments couldn't be located anymore, the maps were useless.

Survivors and relatives of the missing had trouble even figuring out where houses once stood in the 100-acre stretch of mud. Soldiers, firefighters and volunteers were given sketches of the village as it stood just days ago, but all the landmarks had been wiped away.(AP reported)

Fearing more landslides, 11 villages were evacuated as U.S. military ships steamed to the scene. A team of up to 30 U.S. Marines based in Okinawa, Japan, was already at the site. Three U.S. military Chinook helicopters landed near the disaster area as the American military prepared to ferry in troops and supplies. (AP reported)

However, the town remains unstable as threats of another landslide could happen anytime.  Rescuers are cautious as they can still hear flowing water and trembles in the area.

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2006, 9:05am by earthlingorgeous » IP Logged
Wicked_Witch
Premier Expert
Philippines  Manila
# 201

the_wicked_witch13  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #59 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:28am »

It is really sad that our country is being beseiged by one disaster after another. After the Wowowie incident, here comes the Leyte mudslides. As of this morning's count according to the news the death toll has reached 107 already, and hundreds still not found or located. Some were literally buried alive, I guess. And it's true that at the exact location of the tragedy, one can only see the field and the valleys that surrounds it. I myself is having a hard time imagining where the landslides came from since I did not see what it looked like before the mudslides. It would be a miracle if there were any survivors left.
And on top of that, Mayon Volcano in Legazpi City, Bicol area (my province) has been slowly emitting lava and the residents have reported experiencing slight tremors occassionally. Let's pray for those whose lives has been threatened.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:29am by Wicked_Witch » IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic: China Slams Japan Ov...  China Slams Japan Ov...  «-  Start new topic  -»  20th Anniversary of ...  Next topic: 20th Anniversary of ...

1freeworld Groups » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.2!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.